Art & Design School & College Tours to Brussels
Brussels’ Flemish background means that it has inherited the greatest collection of art originating from the Flemish school, including works by Bruegel the eldest, Rubens and Rembrant to name but a few. Brussels is also home of one of Surrealism's greatest masters, Rene Magritte. The city has recently opened a museum in the artist’s former residence where students will be able to learn about the artist and the inspirations for his legendary paintings. Brussels is also the capital of Art Nouveau architecture, boasting a plethora of architecture treasures which can be observed with a walking tour of the city. With such a great artistic heritage, Brussels is a fantastic destination for art & architecture school groups.
Art & Design Excursions
- Magritte Museum - The house of Magritte was the headquarters of the Belgian surrealists.
- Comic Strip Museum - See the works of Hergé and his famous creation - Tintin.
- Royal Museum of Art History - - An important collection of art objects from different civilizations.
- Horta Museum - An example of the architectural style that made Horta one of the most acclaimed architects in Belgium.
- Ruben’s House, Antwerp - A reconstruction of what the house must have looked like in the 17th century.
- Opportunities to compare and contrast a range of artistic works in a number of galleries and museums in the city
- Provides ample opportunity to acquire general knowledge of historical, social and cultural contexts for paintings, sculpture and architecture
- Develop an understanding of the relationships between society and art within historical and other frameworks
- Learn some of the city’s history and culture that have provided the context for much of the artistic works
- Be able to see artistic works at close hand, often in their native environment
- Be able to compare and contrast different artistic styles and techniques
- Understand the historical and cultural context in which the artistic works were created
- Develop confidence in their ability to make critical judgements
- Learn about artistic techniques they can try out with their own work